okay I think it's time to open a thread for the game I'm making. Geologist TD is a TD game with basic GemTD principles and several distinctive features both implemented and planned. (At most it'll turn out average, but there's still an opportunity to make it better.) So far I have made the following:
1) Game engine, having monsters, towers, shots, mana, shield (AKA lives), waypoints and a single "classic" maze taken off Alchemist TD (which in turn took it from GemTD).
2) Two monsters with an ability to add more (graphics only), 11 abilities of monsters, 8 immunities to various effects that towers do
3) 26 gems and 17 recipes to make them, 11 grades of each gem, 5 sizes of gems and rocks, static sprites
4) An ability to raise a gem off grid to place it elsewhere (costs mana), to combine two identical gems into one a grade bigger, to remove a gem off the grid for good, to upgrade gem chances, and a reset-state similar to what's done in GemTD.
5) A small interactive help with recipes and gems.
1) More spells to do with gems (grow from mana for example) and monsters (kill one with lightning, for example).
2) A storyline, so far text only, but pretty advanced already.
3) More levels, difficulty levels
4) Skills and artifacts for a wizard (variable, of course)
5) Resources to fund the research and their retrival (mid-battle)
What's requested from you:
1) Ideas of what a wizard can do with gems. "Digging gems" is based on Alchemist TD with simlar game mechanics
2) What gem effects are considerable to be used within the game. Having here: splash, burn, poison, armor piercing, armor reduction, swat (a blow that harms both HP and maxHP in percentage), slow, stun, multitarget, aura-gem.
3) What monsters should be able to pull off their sleeves to withstand the maze. Currently: they can be immune to either effect, armored, unable to be slowed beyond a certain speed; they can regenerate and fly (obviously).
4) What to do with local storyline's Prime Evil. Twisted plot is absent.
5) What should be the special effects and whatever sounds the game might need. I am out of a sound card over here :) (it's onboard and the chip malfunctioned) So far nothing is done except a generic class that can hold animations.
6) Level generation. Yet nothing is done but the engine and its interface. Levels are planned to be up to 60x50 size, waypoints are 3x3, all kinds of obstacles are permitted (nothing yet is coded into the game), including roads and rainclouds (prevents fliers to pass but lets ground monsters pass), including obstacles of an irregular form, excluding overlapping of obstacles.
Currently working on: UI and graphics to base level, aligning gem sprites by color, searching for monster sprites, game balance (gems vs gems, gems vs monsters).
Any responses are welcome excluding outright hatred.